Thursday, January 3, 2008

a moment of peace before another end.

I was lying down on his bed reading as he got out of the shower. He said "You had your appendix removed," touching the small scar near my pelvis. "Yes, I did," I answered, after a short pause.

Later, I realized that I was amazed and puzzled at the fact that a person had looked at me so acutely as to notice a tiny, almost invisible scar on my body. As far as the self esteem of 24 year old females go, I'm probably comfortably above average. I've always liked my physical features, regardless of whether I was a scrawny, muscular boyish looking thing, or the slightly more rounded version I am today.

But I'm not used to being observed and examined. I am a girl, like all other girls. If you glance quickly, and without precision, I am limber and cute and pretty, like most young women with good metabolism rates are. Most men look at me that way, and I'm okay with that.

I'm really unsure of how I look like under scrutiny. At the same time, I feel oddly honored to have been looked at carefully enough to notice my scars and scratches and any other odd physical flaws I have. When later, he looked up at me and said, "God, you're beautiful." - I believed him without hesitation and without attributing it to the usual words that are necessarily spoken in such situations.

For the first time, I unabashedly believed a compliment.

That's it for this one, though. We aren't dating and I'm not sure if we'll be friends. I don't think I'll write about him again.

No comments: