Monday, November 12, 2007

i'll be the one to break my heart

I was typing up an entry about something that made me want to reference "I Feel It All" by Feist, and googled it to make sure I didn't completely fuck up the lyrics. In the process, I found this video of her performing live(on a bus) on the Jimmy Kimmel show, noticed that one of the guys in her band was playing a melodion, and completely lost my train of thought.

But it would have been a very wistful entry, I'm sure. I didn't need more of those, anyway.

(the video is here.)

So, instead, this will be a blog about the melodion.

I'm going to venture a guess that the melodion I own is actually the same kind as the one in the video, since I simply can't think of anything else that would be made in that hideous shade of pistachio-ish green. Except the table that I'm typing this on, but my dad made it for me, and the green is charming, but I digress(again).

I played my melodion in an elementary school marching band. We had to learn songs very quickly, so instead of learning any sort of musical theory, she wrote numbers on little stickers, applied them to the keys and we memorized numbers and looked at our fingers. Upon reflection, while this is a fairly good way to make sure the melodion section of your marching band gets their chubby little fingers on the right keys, it is a terrible way to teach music.

Yes, in my elementary school, the marching band has a melodion section. I'm not sure what was up with that either.

It's a pretty awesome instrument, and I'm not really sure where it is now. I know it's in a box somewhere, but I'm uncertain which city or end of the state that particular box is in. I have a lot of boxes in my life right now, and it seems that I always will.

I've been thinking about a lot lately, though - maybe just because I can't find it. I'm used to dragging it out of storage once a month or so and playing a small section of a song my grandmother used to like a lot(which is all I remember how to play). I always thought it was a pretty silly instrument, but I really miss it now that it isn't around. I take a lot of things for granted, I think.

No comments: